Montrose and La Crescenta residents with family members diagnosed with serious mental illness can join a 12-week series of classes in Burbank.
The free NAMI Family to Family education course is sponsored by National Alliance on Mental Illness of Glendale starting on Thursday, Jan. 24 from 7 to 9:30 p.m. at Burbank Adult School.
Topics covered in the course include information about:
- Mood disorders (bi-polar disorder and major depression)
- Panic disorder and obsessive compulsive disorder
- Coping skills such as handling crisis and relapse
- Basic information about medications
- Listening and communication techniques
- Problem solving skills
- Recovery and rehabilitation
- Self-care around worry and stress
The course is designed specifically for parents, siblings, spouses, teenage and adult sons and daughters, partners and significant others who are caregivers of persons with severe and persistent mental illness.
The NAMI Family to Family education course is free.
For more information or to register contact Jonée B. Shady at (323) 882-6998 or by e-mail email@example.com.