Party goers and Rose Parade overnighters should note: the Los Angeles County Health Officer issued a cold weather advisory for the area.
The National Weather Service forecasts low temperatures overnight through Tuesday for Los Angeles County mountains and the San Gabriel and San Fernando valleys.
Wind chill temperatures are expected to be in the 20s and 30s for Santa Clarita Valley and Mount Wilson areas, and in single digits and high 10s for Lancaster.
There will be areas of frost in the valleys early Tuesday and gust northeast winds will affect the mountains and valleys of Los Angeles Tuesday night and Wednesday, according to the National Weather Service.
“We also want to remind people not to use stoves, barbeques or ovens to heat their homes due to the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning,” said Jonathan E. Fielding, M.D., M.P.H., Director of Public Health and Health Officer.
“There are places where people can go to stay warm, such as shelters or other public facilities. Children and the elderly are especially vulnerable during such cold snaps, care should be taken to ensure they don’t get too cold when they are outside,” he said.
Winter shelter is available for seniors and anyone looking to stay warm.
For more information on locations and transportation, visit: http://www.lahsa.org/winter_shelter_program.asp or call the LA County Information line at 2-1-1 from any landline or cell phone. For the deaf and hard of hearing, call the TDD line at 1-800-660-4026.
Here are precautions to protect yourself from the cold:
- Dress in layers of warm clothing if you plan to be outdoors.
- Protect extremities from the cold by wearing a hat, scarf, gloves, and socks.
- Offer to help those in your neighborhood with limited access to heat, such as seniors or those who are ill. Check on them frequently.
- During peak cold times, if you don’t have a heater in your home, visit indoor public facilities such as shopping malls, libraries or senior centers.
- If you use an outdoor generator at home, place it at least 10 feet away from all doors and windows.
- Stoves, barbeques and ovens can produce a deadly gas known as carbon monoxide when used to heat a home. Never use these appliances in place of approved heaters such as electric, natural gas, or fireplaces.
- Install a carbon monoxide detector in your home to reduce the risk of poisoning.
- If you have pets, bring them indoors and do not leave them outside overnight.
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include shortness of breath, headaches, muscle and joint pain, and nausea. Exposure to high levels of carbon monoxide could lead to death within minutes. Those suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning should be taken outside, into fresh air, immediately, and should be taken to an emergency room for immediate medical treatment.